Accounting Resources

Cash Transfer, Check, and Accounting

Frequently Asked Questions

Whom do I contact to have money wired to the GW cash account?

GW Treasury Management 

Alison Pouliot can be reached at 571-553-0151 or [email protected]. Giulliano Camargos can be reached at [email protected] or 202-994-1721.

Whom do I contact to find out if a wire has been received in the GW cash account?

Send a request to Satpal Beri, Senior Accountant, at 571-553-4118 or [email protected].

How do I obtain a replacement check if the check issued by GW was not received by me but cashed per bank record?

You need to submit a duly notarized affidavit on a bank prescribed form to get a reimbursement. A copy of the form may be obtained from Satpal Beri at [email protected].

How can I obtain a copy of a cancelled check issued by GW?

Send an email request with the related check number, amount, payee, and cleared date of the check to Satpal Beri at [email protected]u.

Journal Entries

Frequently Asked Questions

I have two GW GL responsibilities - one is called GW GL Entry O-XXXX and the other GW GL Entry A-XXXX. What does this mean?

If the string of characters begins with "O-", the data restrictions are based on Organization values; if the string begins with "A-", then they are Account-based.

Where can I find the policies and procedures for processing manual journal entries?

University Accounting Services has prepared helpful guidelines and instructions for Manual Journal Entries and Attachments and Attaching Documents to Journals.

How can I find out who approves journals?

Your supervisor approves your journals. If you have additional questions about your approver, please contact Financial Systems Support at 571-553-4002.

If my approver is not available, can I get my journal forwarded to someone else?

Yes, you can contact the Systems, Analytics, & Insights Group at 571-553-4002 to request that your journal be forwarded to someone other than your designated approver.

If I key in a manual journal on the last day of the month, will my journal be processed for that month?

Yes, as long as proper documentation is attached to the journal.


Frequently Asked Questions

What are accruals?

Accruals are expenses incurred but not yet paid or recorded.

When are the A/P accruals posted and reversed?

Accruals are done on a quarterly basis and are reversed the first month of the following quarter.

How often are accruals recorded to the Budget Performance Reports?

Payroll accruals are recorded monthly to the Budget Performance Reports.

Are there any forms needed to complete accrual reversals?

Accruals are automatically reversed in the month following that in which the expense was paid. Please do not submit any journal entries to adjust, reclass, or reverse accruals.

What do I do if I find an error or a charge that I do not recognize on my Budget Performance Report?

You can contact a staff member of University Accounting Services.

Whom do I contact about questions on my Budget Performance Reports?

You can contact University Accounting Services at 571-553-4054.

When do I use a Manual Journal Entry Form?

The Manual Journal Entry Form is used to correct charges with a source of Payables or Purchase Invoices, and when departments agree to share expenses or to correct charges incorrectly processed by service providers (ex. postage, telecom, etc.).

Is there a monthly calendar on key closing dates?

Yes. The monthly calendar is available on the Oracle EAS webpage.

When will the year-end closing schedule of key dates be published?

The year-end closing schedule of key dates is published in the month of April on the Oracle EAS webpage.

DC and Virginia Sales Tax Remittance

The District of Columbia and Virginia Sales Tax Remittance Form(XLS) must be completed monthly by any GW Department that is performing taxable sales transactions.  Instructions are available.

Credit Card Merchant Accounts

To establish a new Merchant Account for your department please contact Treasury Management at [email protected]. Once you have established a Merchant Account, you may need to prepare journal entries to record credit card activity on your department's new Merchant Account.  In order to do so, please review the Preparing a Cash Deposit Journal - Credit Card  training.